Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Inexpensive Weed Killer

Take plain old vinegar, put it in a spray bottle and spray on weeds or plants you do not want at the beginning of a sunny day.

Before:


After:

Looks like more than one just a light misting should be used, bet if I sprayed it twice those few bits of grass would have died as well.

Caution: This will kill anything, not just weeds, so if you want to keep your roses, don't use this on them.

UPDATE: I left them dead and didn't pluck them, not sure if they came back or more grew but some greenery can be seen in the area a few weeks later, but it did better than last year's attempt with Roundup. After using Roundup, my area looked more beautifully green with weeds several weeks later than before I used the Roundup; it was like I fertilized the area for them. I am assuming I am supposed to pick the weeds, but just haven't the time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea! I've also used salt water with great success mixed with a tiny squirt of dish soap. It helps the solution stick on the leaves better. I killed our poison ivy that way and it lasted a whole year!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try this...we're in the process of moving across town and there is grass growing where we don't want it. Thanks for the great tip!

anonymous said...

glad you are not using roundup anymore.. it is made by the worlds most evil company.. Glosphate is resposible for the vast drop in human fertility and the dying out of our honey bee population.. not to mention the long list of other detrimental practices being done by this awfull corporation.