Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal Packets

My hubby takes instant oatmeal to work for a snack when he gets hungry and I am trying to cut down on cold cereal cost, so I ventured into making them myself, they are super easy to make too!

Instant Oatmeal Base

3 cups instant oats
salt
add-ins

Blend or food process 1 cup of oats until powdery. Take snack sized ziplocs or small containers (makes 8 packets) and put in each 1/4 cup instant oats, 2 T powdered instant oats and one shake of salt from the salt shaker. Put in add-ins for each packet for the flavor you desire. To make, put mix and 3/4 cup milk in bowl and stir. Heat for about 2 min. in microwave. (My hubby doesn't think these taste well with plain water, so at work he puts in 2 spoons of creamer.)

Here are the flavors that we have tried and liked. I'll add more when I make them; I'm thinking brown sugar and syrup would be good, but would have to add the syrup after the fact.

Spice - 1 T brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, dash of nutmeg
(For a Maple and brown sugar, use the spice add ins and then stir in a glug of Maple syrup after it's been microwaved.)
Banana Nut - 1 T brown sugar, 1 T chopped nuts, 1 T chopped dehydrated bananas
Fruit and Cream - 1 T sugar, 1 T chopped dehydrated fruit, 1 T powdered cream
Apple Cinnamon - 1 T brown sugar, 2 T chopped dehydrated apples, 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Pumpkin Spice - 1 T brown sugar, 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Cinnamon Bun - 1T powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and either 2T creamer or microwave with half and half or whipping cream.

6 comments:

crafty_penguin said...

This is such a great idea! I've dehydrated my own apples, so I will try this.

Shanaka @ Mama Bee Does said...

Yum! Thanks. Posted a link back to you on my blog :)

Blackdove said...

Good tips. If you're into alternative flavors, you could try adding Asian flavors into instant oatmeal.

Unknown said...

My kids love Maple & Brown Sugar instant oatmeal. According to your other add-in's looks like I should add 1 TBL of Brown Sugar, what about maple? Should I use Pancake syrup, real maple syrup, or maple flavoring??

Melissa Jagears said...

Tinanix2,

I just do the spice concoction and then stir in a glug of maple syrup after I microwave it.

BTW, I've been eating these a lot lately and I've cut down on the salt, I just put one shake of salt in each package. I shall go amend that now.

Melissa Jagears said...

And looks like I hadn't added my newest concoction: Cinnamon Bun flavor, it's in the post now. Hope your kids like it, Tinanix2