Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Wool Sweater Chalkboard Eraser

So now that I have a chalkboard, I need an eraser. The best chalkboard erasers are suede or felt.

So, I grab my bag of really tiny felted wool scraps left over from my shrunken sweaters from diaper cover making.

I tried to find the heavier, stiffer wool pieces. I cut out 7 rectangles about 1.5 inches by 5 or 6 inches.

I folded them in half and used the sewing machine to sew each of them in half. They barely made it under the machine foot, but they made it.


I wanted to make the non-sewed edge side the nice cleaning edge of my eraser, so I lined them all up with sewn edges next to each other. Then I took a needle and thread and started sewing in a serpentine fashion to catch all of them and try to keep then next to each other. It did curve up a bit on the edges, but I was ok with that. It was so thick that I had to make the needle go through only the first half in order to catch my needle to get it through the next half.


And the final resulting chalkboard eraser. Works great. I thought I would hot glue it to a thin piece of board. I may do it later, but I think I like it just how it is.



4 comments:

Bloggers said...

That is so great!! We just bought our son a big chalkboard at good will for $1.00 and needed an eraser. I also have a ton of leftover wool sweater pieces from making diaper covers. I will make one of these tonight.

Anonymous said...

I have to buy some new sweater soon. All of them are now very old fashioned.

Barb said...

Cute idea!

WiJoyMom said...

I like this idea, thanks for sharing. I'll have to give it a try :)