Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Wool Sweater Diaper Bag

Now that I made a dirty diaper bag from an old wool sweater, why not have a diaper bag to match?

First I took one of my really thick felted wool sweaters (shrunk in a hot/cold wash and dried in the dryer) that I felt was too bulky for a diaper cover or longie. I cut off the sleeves from the body which I will make the dirty diaper bag from. The body is what I will be using for the bag.


Using a folded diaper as a guide for how deep I wanted the diaper bag to be. This one nicely fell at the armpit holes. I cut from one side to the other front only. Then I cut off the neck hole. The flap of the back of the sweater will be my bag flap.

I felt it was too big for a bag and took off some inches to my desired size. Then I turned it inside out and sewed up the bottom waistband and the newly cut side.

Then I sewed up a hole in the sweater with a zigzag stitch that was luckily in a place where the flap will cover it.


Then using the neck hole excess, I made two long strips of sweater since I couldn't get one length long enough for a strap.


Then I sewed each end into the corner of the bag. I held it onto my shoulder and decided where I wanted to sew the straps together to make it the length I want (Hint: Go shorter than you want because the strap will stretch some when carrying it around loaded with supplies) I used this kind of stitch to make sure it was a strong seam.


Then I rounded the corners of my flap because I wanted to and there you have it! It may not be the most gorgeous diaper bag in the world, but it cost me less than $1!

I've stocked it with diaper liners, diapers, a wool cover, my dirty diaper wool bag and a ziplock bag of premoistened diaper wipes.


1 comment:

The Farm-Marm said...

This is soooo cool! i'm going to the next months sale at goodwill to find me a men's xxl wool sweater!